Thursday, October 26, 2006

Late Night with Grant


For those of you who have had the pleasure of a newborn in your house you may recall the lack of sleep one gets these first few weeks. When Grant first came home from the hospital he was up every hour or so for a diaper change and feeding. I thought this kid was never going to let me sleep more than 30 minutes at a time. Fortunately, the past couple of weeks my son has settled into a nighttime routine. I am not one of the lucky parents who can boast that their baby slept through the night at six weeks old! Contrary to my sister's recent blog, (http://mae4373.blogspot.com), my baby does not generally sleep well. (He just behaves himself in public.) Grant usually falls asleep about 11pm (that's late for us!) and wakes up twice a night for a meal (usually between 1-2am and again around 5 am). This is progress for us and I hope that he sleeps longer by the time I have to return to work!

Last night, however, we were sound asleep when the phone rings about midnight. NO! I sleepily crack one eye open to read the caller ID. Wrong number! I don't know who the crazy person is calling our house this late. So I decide to ignore it and let the answering machine pick it up. Of course the person must of realized that they called the wrong house and they did not leave us a message. Grant was stirring in his bed and beginning to cry. "Go back to sleep!" I thought. No such luck. He goes into a fit of crying. I scoop him up and begin to feed him hoping that this would comfort him enough to fell asleep. The phone rings again and this time I answer it. The person hung up! After a few minutes of snacking he was out of it, so I carefully placed him back in his bed. No sooner had I sat down on the bed prepared to return to slumber did his eyes open and the crying began again. This routine repeated itself a few more times when I finally gave in a got up. We had a diaper change, and then I decided to give him a bottle and rock him back to sleep. I even turn on his Celine Dion "Miracles" CD which has worked in the past. He would quickly fall asleep and after a few cautious minutes I would try to put him back in his bed. Of course he would wake up instantly!! By this point in time I was seriously thinking of calling the unknown number back and letting them listen to my 6 week old wail. The CD had played in its entirety before I got Grant back to sleep around 2 am! Hopefully, tonight he will return to waking for a short feeding and we won't have any late night phone calls.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I used to lay in bed thinking, "Please God, just another 30 minutes. . . 15 minutes? Please? Please let him go back to sleep." Of course, that never worked. Fortunately, the waking up at night doesn't last long, it only feels like it does.

Leslie said...

Thanks for the reassurance. I look forward to that day!!!