Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's August Already?

Where has our summer gone?  As usual, time is flying by and it's already August 11th!  I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.  We have so much going on in the next few weeks.  I haven't really blogged about this pregnancy much.  The truth is, time just keeps sneaking by me.  When I was expecting Grant I spent hours planning his nursery, making lists of all the "essential" baby things that I would need, and reading up in various books on each stage of pregnancy.  When I was pregnant with Erin, I had a little less time to contemplate these things.  Now that I am expecting our third baby, my time is limited and I have told myself that I have plenty of time to get things in order before the baby arrives.  Somehow with the arrival of August I am starting to panic a little.  Now, the baby's not due until Thanksgiving, and I have a little over a 100 days left until my due date, but I feel a bit unprepared.

I went to the doctor on Monday.  I hadn't seen my doctor in 12 weeks!  He is in the National Guard and was away from the office for several weeks.  During this time I did see a midwife once for a quick check up, but a lot of time passed by due to some cancellations, on their part, of my appointments.  I wasn't worried, and everything seems to be fine with this baby and pregnancy.  The biggest problem was they missed scheduling me for another ultrasound.  I have been waiting and waiting to see if we can get a clear view of this baby.  I would really like to know ahead of time if we are having a boy or girl!  (The ultrasound tech was leaning towards a girl with our last ultrasound, but we really didn't get a clear picture. Nothing was obvious either way.  She doesn't have the best track record with us.  She told us Erin was going to be a boy!)  They couldn't get me in for an ultrasound until September 8th.  By that time I will be 28 weeks and I will have about 12 weeks to prepare for the baby.

So what do I need to do?  I was planning on doing some sewing for this baby.  Both Erin and Grant were born in warmer weather, so most their newborn and 0-3 months clothing won't work for this baby unless we have a very warm winter.  A Christmas outfit for church is at the top of my list. I would like to monogram some items for this baby too.  Which means we would have to have settled on a name.  If, by chance, this baby is a boy, I will need to make some new bumper pads for him.  (Grant's bumper pads had his monogram on them).  I know all of these things can be done after the baby arrives, but honestly, I know I am not going to have the time.

So what I am going to do in the meantime?  I am trying to sew a lot for Erin.  I am starting with her fall/winter wardrobe and I am hoping to get some items made for next spring too!  I love to sew and I have a more free time now to do it.  Also, I am going to try to put up some freezer meals.  I have never tried this before.  I think it will help during those first few months when the baby is fussy during those early evening hours.  It never seems to fail that babies seem to fuss and cry between right when it's time to get dinner on the table!  (I don't know why I didn't think of this before I had Erin)

What's going on in the next few weeks around here?  Stephen and I are getting away for the weekend without the kids!  Stephen won a trip from a local radio station for a weekend stay in St. Petersburg at the Tradewinds Beach Resort!  I couldn't believe it and it couldn't have come at a better time!  We celebrated our ten year wedding anniversary in May, but decided not to go away for the weekend because we had taken the kids to Disney earlier in the month.  We have never left the kids like this, but we definitely need some time away!   Stephen has been going to school as a full time student on top of a very demanding job, and other obligations.  I have been trying to hold down the fort here!  We are looking forward to some relaxing time on the beach and quiet, uninterrupted meals!

The week we get back Erin has a little outpatient surgery scheduled.  It's not a big deal, but it's still a surgical procedure.  She has a wart that has grown on her lower eyelid.  It's gotten quite large and her doctor referred us back to the pediatric ophthalmologist that she saw last year.  He is going to remove it for us.  It bothers her  and other children are starting to mess with it, which makes her mad.  He said it would be best to go ahead and take it off before more warts start to grow.  If we waited he would have to excise a larger area of tissue.  So they will put he to sleep and surgically remove it and she will be left with a few sutures.

The following week Grant starts pre-school!!!  He is so excited about starting school.  He is just going three mornings a week and will be in the three year old class.  He misses the cut off here in Florida for VPK by ten days.  (He's going to hate it when he finds out he is in the three year old class!)  I think school is going to be good for him.  He needs a little independence and some time being with other children.

I hope I haven't bored you to tears....just writing down some things that are on my mind!

No comments: