Thursday, May 19, 2011

Eleven Years




Eleven years ago today.

Stephen and I were merely kids.  I was days away from my nineteenth birthday and he was the mature twenty-one year old : )  Despite our young age, we knew we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together.  We have grown up together and seen each other through many milestones and accomplishments.  Through it all, Stephen has been my best friend, my strength, my provider, my partner, my encourager.  

Stephen tells me that from the moment he met me he knew he would marry me.  I remember the day he met me too, but I can't say I shared the same sentiments.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't think poorly of him.  I was in ninth grade he was a junior in high school.  Why would he even be interested in me?  My band director was head of the district band association and it was Solo and Ensemble weekend.  I was Band Captain that year and included in my responsibilities came the job of being Mr. McGuffin's right hand man.  I was trying to coordinate getting the rooms that had been used during the festival set up for school the following Monday morning.  Stephen helped me clean up several rooms that day (while most of his friends were goofing around).  I thought Stephen was a nice guy and appreciated the help.  I had another boyfriend at the time.  (He was actually good friends with Stephen.)   I didn't see Stephen again until that summer.  In fact, he didn't even cross my mind. 

During the summer between my freshman and sophomore years we started crossing each other's paths more frequently.  I was starting high school at Middleburg High where he went to school.  He ended up asking me to the Homecoming dance that fall.  This was our first date.  My mom says she knew that night that Stephen was "the one" for me.  She says she could just tell from the few minutes she spent with him before we left.  I guess mother's intuition is always right!  

I liked him too!  He was different from most of the other guys in school.  The thing I admired most about Stephen was that he didn't care what others thought about him.  He didn't have to try to be cool all the time.  He was just himself....genuine.  He still is.  What you see is what you get.  He is honest, kind, and caring.  He doesn't have a mean bone in his body and is always willing to help those that need his help.  He is extremely hard working, putting in long hours at work and going to school.  I don't know how he does it all, but I am proud to be his wife!


We have accomplished a lot in the past eleven years together.  I think of how quickly time passes.  It really seems like we are still newlyweds, but here we are.  We have three kids who have made our life that much sweeter.  I am thankful for our past, loving the present and can't wait to see what the future holds for us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you, Leslie and I love Stephen just like a son. I couldn't have picked out a better husband for you if I could have chosen one from the whole world. I am so proud of you and him and the family you have build together. May you live and love for ever.

dad

Kristi said...

Leslie, that picture above it just breathtaking. I had no idea you married before you were 19! :) Congratulations to you both!