I returned to work a couple weeks ago working two days a week. So far Erin has only taken a bottle two of these days. Luckily, the days that she has refused to take the bottle I had cancellations before lunch and I went home to nurse her. It still makes for a long and difficult day for Erin and Stephen's mother who takes care of her and Grant while I am at work.
I didn't think we would have a problem introducing a bottle because Grant went back and forth between nursing and bottle feeding with no problem. I even introduced the bottle at 3 weeks and she took it with no problem. She would have an occasional bottle when I needed to be away from her. A week before I was to return to work (she was 10 weeks old) I tried to give her a bottle at the mall. I figured it would be quicker and easier since I had Grant with me too. She wouldn't take it. Ever since then we have had difficulty getting her to take a bottle. The day that she has taken one for my mother-in-law she had to really work with Erin to get her to except it.
I have tried several different bottles to no avail. If she even catches a glimpse of a bottle she screams. So now I am asking for help. If anyone has had a similar problem I would love to hear from you. I have a freezer full of breast milk!!! I am going to try to pump some and work with a bottle at home this weekend. HELP!!!!!
6 comments:
Here's my 2 cents:
1. Get Stephen or your Mom to give her the bottle. If she is going to take it, it's more likely from them and not you.
2. Work with it over the weekend. That's a great idea.
3. I would do it at least once a day so that she will just keep doing it.
I don't think that was much help - have you tried calling a lactation consultant at the hospital where you delivered?
Kristi,
I have called my lactation consultant...but she hasn't called me back! There is one more bottle that I am going to try this weekend. Maybe we will have some success. Thanks for you advice.
Casey used Dr. Browns - Sophia really liked them. Just a FYI! I hope the consultant calls you soon. They are really a wonderful resourse. You could also check out the website: www.breastfeeding.com. This was recommended by my lactation consultant. Good luck!
Have things gotten any better? I have nothing to really offer in the way of advice, though I have heard to try and feed her when she's not extremely hungry so that she doesn't get frustrated. I'm sorry you are having such a problem with it. How has her weight been? Anna is like Erin in that she's really small, whereas Luke was always huge. It can be a little worrisome when you're used to one thing and then get the opposite with the second one!
Kim,
We still aren't having much luck with the bottle, but we will keep trying.
Erin has steadily been gaining on average 6-7 oz a week. According to a weight gain calculator I found for breastfed babies she is right on track. She weighs 12.4 lbs now. Grant was already 15.8 lbs at three months old. It is different having such a petite thing after having Grant. I guess it just goes to show that each child is different.
I am sorry that you are having such problems. I had a little bit of an issue with Jennifer at first, but it is now better. Jennifer is on oatmeal now because of the vomiting. It is mixed with breastmilk. She really likes it, so I believe that is why the bottles are going better for us. She still does not like to take a bottle from me. It takes us a long time to get through a bottle when I give it to her. I really hope things get better for all of you!
Post a Comment