Erin became sick the Monday evening before Thanksgiving. At first, I thought it was a stomach virus and braced myself for a full on infection for the whole house, but we weren't getting sick. I was then convinced that this was bacterial. Wednesday, she wasn't doing any better so I took her to the peds office only for them to say it was viral..(really? This seems to be their answer to everything. Erin had been sick more than she has been well since August. I have made multiple trips to their office and they always tell me it's viral. She will run a fever of 102-103 for 5-6 days - during which she never sleeps and is quite irritable. Then she will be better for a week or so. I am contemplating changing practices. What child gets a new virus every other week. She's not even in daycare?) Thursday came, Thanksgiving Day, and we had the entire family over for Thanksgiving. She seemed to be improving, but Friday morning we decided to take her to the children's hospital here in Jax. Her fever had been 103+ for 4 days and now she had bloody stools. She was so sick.
Monday came. It had finally been a week since she had become sick and she was doing a little better, but guess who got it now....Grant! The hospital called and let us know that she had Salmonella!!! They told us to call her pediatrician office at once! So, we did and scheduled an appointment for Grant, who by now was just as sick. The next day when I took him in the doctor basically told me that he probably had it too (no really?) and that we should just let it run it's course. They only give antibiotics for severe cases....I want to know what constitutes a severe case. We went through a box of 150 diapers in 10 days...I think that's severe enough. I have never seen my children so sick. Erin would scream and double over with pain every time she had a dirty diaper. Anyway, it has taken about 2 and a half weeks, but I finally think we are on our way to getting better.
The CDC even called to check on Erin. I guess the hospital reported her case to them. We wouldn't have known that my in-laws and everyone else at their church had salmonella if it wasn't for Erin's trip to the ER. They all suspected food poisoning, but nobody else had a culture run.
After all that sickness and lack of sleep, I left for a much needed girls weekend away. My mom, Aunt Vicki, Melissa, Liz and Anna all met in Atlanta last weekend for a fun-filled trip. My wonderful husband stayed home and took care of the kids who were still getting over the nasty salmonella poisoning. I owe him big time!
It was Anna's eighth birthday so we took her to the American Girl store for her birthday!

Anna brought her doll, Ruthie, along for the trip. Ruthie enjoyed some pampering. (I think we need some pampering on our next trip.)
Ruthie's new do!
We had a delicious dinner right there at the American Girl Bistro to celebrate Anna's special day! It was a lot of fun and Ruthie ended up with some new outfits! What little girl wouldn't like the American Girl store?





2 comments:
Bless your hearts! Erin looked like my kids did when they were in the hospital with RSV. An other ped in our practice saw Kate after she was born, but when she got really sick at 11 months old - and we had been in the office 3 times in 1 week, we saw Dr. Simon, and he didn't just put me off. He really listened and, low and behold, she had RSV. I know what you mean about changing your ped. I did and I'm so happy. You have to be able to trust your doctor!
Sorry this is drawn out - just brought back aggrivating memories! :)
Oh my goodness! That is AWFUL! First of all, I had no idea that salmonella was contagious. Secondly, I know that more and more pediatricians are becoming resistant to prescribing antibiotics because overprescribing is making some infections resistant to treatment...but geez! I would have been so upset if my kids were that sick, and they did not give them treatment! That's crazy! Poor kids, and poor you!
I'm so glad everyone is feeling better, and that you had a good getaway weekend. I hope you got to get some much needed SLEEP while away!
Post a Comment