Monday, January 24, 2011

Grant's Unfortunate Run In with the Iron


Yesterday was not a typical Sunday in our household.  Erin was running a fever so she and I stayed home from the morning worship service.  I decided to start sewing some spring outfits for my girls.  I went through my fabric stash and found some fabric that I thought would make a cute bubble outfit for Camryn to wear this summer.  (I had bought it a few years back with the intentions to make Erin something out of it.)  I didn't have a pattern for a bubble so I figured I would make one like you would make a pillowcase dress.  As I was cuting the fabric my iron start to smoke a little.  I had ironed a sweater that morning and the setting was a little hot for the fabric and some of the fuzz was left on the iron.  (Does anyone else do this?)  I turned my iron off and let it cool so I could clean off the iron.  

When I plugged my iron back in it just wouldn't heat up.  I loved this iron!  It came "free" with my vacuum a few years ago.  Luckily, I still had the iron Stephen and I bought when we were first married.  I plugged it in and went back to work.  Then Camryn woke up.  She'd only been asleep twenty minutes or so.  I turned off my machines and my iron and left the sewing room.

This routine went on all day.  Camryn was uncharacteristically fussy and wanted to nurse all day.  (I am guessing growth spurt because she was back to normal today.)  I would get her to sleep and I would get maybe fifteen minutes to sew.  Every time I left the room I would turn off the iron.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon about 3:45 pm.  I turned Camryn over to Stephen with the hopes to get the outfit finished before I had to leave for church service.  Grant comes into my sewing room and starts to question me about the iron.  He told me the Erin had touched the iron and it burned her finger.  So, of course, we had to check her finger.  She didn't have a blister, but she said it hurt her.  She hadn't cried when she did it so we figured that the iron was still warm when she went in there and touched it, but it wasn't hot enough to burn her.  I then go into a long speech about the dangers of touching the iron.  I showed Grant the scar I have on my stomach from burning myself with the iron when I was in fourth grade.  (Yes, I was ironing my shirt for school.)  

I went back to sewing thinking that what I just told Grant really sunk in.  Then I heard him from behind me.  "It doesn't hurt!  It doesn't hurt!  It doesn't hurt!!!"  I knew what he had done.  As I turned to look at him, his big, green eyes I filled tears.  He was grabbing his lip.  I quickly pulled him into my lap to take a closer look.  By this time he was sobbing hysterically. He had burnt his lip and his chin on the iron!!!


This is what it looked like just a few minutes after it happened.

We asked him why he did it?  He replied, "Erin did it!"

Stephen and I decided it looked bad enough that he needed to go to Urgent Care to get some ointment to put on it.  


They spent a couple of hours at the urgent care clinic.  (Why do things like this always happen on Sunday?)  Grant entertained the entire waiting room singing, commentating his Angry Bird games, and rambling on and on.  He told everyone his daddy's favorite TV show is football : )  The above picture is Grant once they got into an exam room.  The doctor diagnosed it as a second degree burn and prescribed some antibiotic ointment.  Of course, they were discharged at 6 pm and all the pharmacies near our house close at 6 pm on Sunday, so they had to go to the 24 hour pharmacy to get it filled.  They finally made it home a little after 7 pm.  

It was a long day...sick Erin...fussy baby...and then a second degree burn.  There is never a dull moment around here is there?


This was his chin this morning.  The picture actually looks better than it does in person. I am hoping it doesn't scar!


We asked Grant if he learned not to touch the iron and to always listen to mommy.  He said "Yes!"  

Three life lessons learned here:  
  • don't be a follower
  • don't touch hot things unless you want to get burned
  • ALWAYS listen to your mother

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Bless his heart that he had to learn the hard way. My cousin did something similar when her Mom told her not to touch the electric fence. She smiled, turned around and grabbed it with both hands! Hope his chin/lip are feeling better today.