Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Our Tiny Tumbler
We signed Erin up to take a "Tiny Tumbler" class at our local dance studio. She really wants to take ballet, but she has to be four years old to take the class. She's very active and I thought the tumbling class would be right up her alley. I loved gymnastics as a kid.
She was super excited about her class and couldn't wait to go yesterday. She even let me put her hair up in a pony tail. (She usually hates to have her hair up.)
When we arrived at the class she went right in. The teacher introduced herself and Erin wouldn't tell the teacher her name. No big deal, she is usually shy around new people. She ran around on the mats with a few of the other girls. I was prepared to leave her there, because that is the usual protocol, but the teacher told us we were welcome to stay. I am glad I did.
Erin lined up on the mat with the other kids just as the teacher asked, but just stood there the whole time they were warming up. I knew by the look on her face that she wasn't going to participate. She can be painfully shy. I decided to just watch and see if she joined in. She didn't. After warm ups she parked herself up againist the wall while the other kids took their turn doing things on the mat. She wouldn't talk or look at anyone. I felt so bad for her. She's the complete opposite of her brother. He had his first soccer practice last week and I think he spoke to every new person he saw. He never meets a stranger. I belive she would have been fine if Grant was taking tumbling with her, but big brother isn't always going to be there for her.
Half way through the class Erin came and sat in my lap. She buried her head in my chest and begged to leave. I told her we were going to stay and watch the rest of the class. She seemed ok with that as long as she could stay with me. I talked to the teacher after class and told her we were going to try it again next week.
She told me in the car that she is afraid of the teacher and that the other girls don't like her. Poor girl! She needs a boost of confidence big time. When we got home we did everything the teacher had taught the kids in class and Erin loved it. She told me that she will go back next week. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that she will warm up to every one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment