Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Do You Know What This Is?

Grant does!!!!!

(This photo is courtesy of Wikipedia)

A few days ago Stephen's parents were outside playing with the kids on our swing set while I was at work. Grant was on his see-saw with my father-in-law. Grant said "snake" and pointed right below his feet. Sure enough there was a pygmy rattlesnake right underneath him!!!! I am so glad I wasn't there to see this, but it still gives me goosebumps to think that it was this close to my baby! I know we have plenty of snakes out here, rattlers included, but I worry about the kids running into one. Our neighbor's lab was bitten twice by a rattlesnake and didn't survive the second bite! (This was on our property!) Luckily, Hunter seems to be unaware that he is supposed to be a dog and therefore doesn't do some of the risky things to encounter these creatures. (Such as digging huge holes underground). He doesn't even notice any of the wildlife around here!
We talk about the snake daily now. Grant will say, "Snake go away. Bad boy snake!" I hope he remembers this!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Yes, I know what that is. YIKES!

Liz said...

Oh, how scary!!! Yes, it is probably better that you weren't there!!!