Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Erin's Arrival!

Family Photo right before we left!
Joy, the best nurse around

This one is for Uncle Brian


Grant and his new baby sister


Well, it has been an long, but wonderful day. Erin is such a sweet baby and Stephen and I have enjoyed bonding with her and visiting with many friends and family. I guess I will fill you in on all the details of her birth story.

As I posted on Monday, I was having some contractions Monday afternoon. As the evening went on I continued to have mild, somewhat regular contractions. When I woke up Tuesday morning I still contracting, but I wasn't in "pain", so I went about my usual routine. I sent Stephen on to work because he had some sort of "big" upgrade planned for the day and he really needed to be there. Grant and I played outside on his swing set, played in the sandbox, and I drug him around in his wagon all before lunch. My contractions were somewhat stronger, but I figured they weren't active labor contractions. After lunch, Grant went down for a nap and I tried to nap/time my contractions. I couldn't do either so I ended up playing on the computer and watching some TV while he napped. About 2:30 I had this feeling that I needed Stephen to be home with me. So I called him and he came home by 4 pm. During this time my contractions continued on a steady pattern, but were bearable. I had done a lot of research about childbirth after Grant was born. I knew I could have a better birth experience than I had with him. I wanted to stay at home as long as possible, and that's what I did.


We decided to go ahead and eat dinner, and afterwards we went for a walk. I pushed Grant in his stroller and Stephen walked Hunter. We decided it was time to time my contractions and I was surprised that they were five minutes apart already. We finished our walk. I still wasn't convinced I was in "active" labor. I DID NOT want to go to the hospital to be sent home, but we went ahead and got our stuff together. By 8 pm my contractions were strong enough that I felt like we could go on to the hospital.


We live about 25 minutes from the hospital. By the time I went through the ER (it was after hours) and got upstairs it was after 8:30. The nurse checked me and told me I was only 3 cm.
NO! She said they would hook me up and let me labor for the next few hours. She said if I did not progress they would send me home. That was the last I saw of that nurse. My contractions grew stronger and Stephen was such a great help. As it neared 10 pm I had had about all I could take. I was praying I was at least a 5-6 so I could get my epidural. (I had said that I was going to go natural this time, but the contractions were so intense that I didn't think I could make it for another4 hours or so.) I could hear a lady delivering in the room next to me. Next thing I know my water broke at 10:10 pm. I called for a nurse, satisfied that they wouldn't be sending home. The contractions were very bad now! She arrived minutes later to verify that my water had broken. When she walked in the room I knew little Erin was on her way. She checked me and I was complete. She called for help right away, but Erin wouldn't wait. At 10:26 am she was born. The nurse was frantically trying to get my IV started when out she came! The cord was wrapped around her neck and she was very blue! The nurse acted like a pro and took care of her! She also had a knot in her cord just like her big brother. They hadn't even finished admitting me! The lady in the room next to me had delivered just as quickly and our doctor did not arrive until after both babies were born.

Our nurse, Joy, was wonderful. Little Erin was the first baby she had to deliver solo! She did an outstanding job! I have to say that this go round labor was so much better and I feel great! I would do it again this way hands down.


Erin is doing well. She is so tiny! Due to our fast delivery,I did not receive any antibiotics for the positive GBS test. The pediatrician will be closely monitoring Erin for any signs of infection. Her final stats are 6lbs 2 oz. and 19 inches long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad she's here - and everyone is doing well. We miss you guys and wish we could be there!

Melissa

Kristi said...

Leslie Wakefield! My kids were born that fast too, and I was so thankful. Thank goodness that nurse was as good as she was - you are awesome!