Friday, February 15, 2008

The Stomach Virus Strikes Again....and Again

Well, we have had a rough week. Our suspicions were right. Grant did have a stomach virus. Stephen woke up Wednesday night just before midnight with it. I felt fine and hoped I wouldn't get it. Stephen always gets stomach viruses. Well, I wasn't that lucky. It hit my about 4 am. I couldn't keep anything down and was becoming dehydrated very quickly. I was white as a ghost! Dehydration brought on contractions. By the time I went to the hospital to Labor and Delivery I had already thrown up 21 times! I knew I wasn't in active labor, but I was concerned about the baby and knew that I needed fluids.

When we they hooked my up to the fetal monitors the baby's heartbeat was staying around 200 bpm and only dropping to about 160 bpm during contractions. I received saline, phenergren (which doesn't and didn't work on me) antibiotics because all of my blood panels were elevated and stadol because I had terrible back pain. I told Stephen that I hoped the baby wasn't on her way because I didn't want to be sick when she was born. The nurse had told me that they would not allow me to nurse her if I was sick. (I was so dehydrated it probably wasn't possible!) After about five hours my contractions slowed down back to regular Braxton-Hicks contractions and they discharged me. They sent me home with Zofran (the only anti-nausea drug that works for me) and a script for cephalexin due to my elevated lab tests. I went home a slept for a few hours only to wake up sick again! They had told me to wait to take my meds until everything they had adminisitered in the hospital had worn off. I went ahead and took some Zofran and have been doing so around the clock!

I feel better this morning and I actually ate some grits for breakfast. We are going to take it easy for the next couple days because I need to regain my strength for when Erin decides to my her grand entrance into this world.

I have to thank my sweet husband for taking such good care of me, even when he was sick himself. It wasn't a very romantic Valentine's Day, but one I am sure we won't forget!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Oh Leslie, I am so sorry! I am so glad you are feelig a little better. I thought for a minute that you were going to tell me that she was here! I think this is the worst flu season there has ever been! I don't know anyone up here who hasn't gotten it. Rest up the best you can! We will see you in a few weeks!!!

Kristi said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. Bless your heart. That has to be the most terrible feeling in the world - and to have to be pregnant and worried about labor at the same time. You rest up while you can. I loved me some Zofran - it kept the nausea at bay very nicely for me.